Phần mở đầuGhi nhớ
In this section you must choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence. For each question, 1 to 20, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
1) It was considerate of you not to play the piano while I was having a sleep.
|A/ impolite||B/ thoughtless||C/ thoughtful||D/ resentful|
2) She had rows with her neighbour yesterday.
|A/ visits||B/ adventures||C/ expeditions||D/ quarrels|
3) The new contact lenses made the woman blink her eyes much more than usual.
|A/ Strain and stretch||B/ open and close||C/ rub||D/ shade|
4) The lawyers were asked to approach the bench.
|A/ detect||B/ descend||C/ evade||D/ come near|
5) Bill felt confident about his grade on the test he had just taken.
|A/ depressed||B/ ecstatic||C/ sure||D/ uncertain|
6) Why didn’t you let me … when you were coming?
|A/ know||B/ to know||C/ knowing||D/ have known|
7) If only he … me a chance, I could have told him the truth.
|A/ gave||B/ has given||C/ could give||D/ had given|
8) The decision was postponed, … was exactly what he wanted.
|A/ which||B/ that||C/ who||D/ whom|
9) My boss is angry with me. I didn’t do all work that I … last week.
|A/ should do||B/ should have done||C/ must have done||D/ might have done|
10) The people at the party were worried about Mary because no one was aware … she had gone.
|A/ where that||B/ of the place where||C/ of where that||D/ the place|
11) Are you accustomed to … in a small flat yet?
|A/ live||B/ living||C/ lived||D/ have lived|
12) I will go out …
|A/ in spite the rain||B/ in spite it rains||C/ althought the rain||D/ in spite of the rain|
13) The holidays at the seaside … We really had a good time there.
|A/ made us happily||B/ made us happiness||C/ made we happy||D/ made us happy|
14) He sold his car … a thousand dollars.
|A/ at||B/ for||C/ with||D/ it|
15) She was proud … finishing the work in such a short time.
|A/ of||B/ about||C/ on||D/ over|
16) After the race …, the celebration began.
|A/ had been won||B/ had won||C/ will be won||D/ get out of|
17) Until you learn to relax more, you … your ability to speak English.
|A/ haven’t improved||B/ aren’t improving|
|C/ don’t improve||D/ won’t improve|
18) He has written a book … I have completely forgotten.
|A/ the name of which||B/ which name|
|C/ whose name||D/ A and C are correct|
19) We both worked for three hours, …she paid John more than me.
|A/ although||B/ even||C/ therefore||D/ yet|
20) The man … towards us is an enguneer.
|A/ coming||B/ comes||C/ is coming||D/ to come|
In this section you will find after the passage five questions of unfinished statements about the passage, each with four suggested answers or ways of finishing. You must choose the one which you think fits best. For each question, 21 to 25, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
In 1920, after some thirty-nine years of problems with disease, high costs, and politics, the Panama Canal was officially opened, finally linking the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans by allowing ships to pass through the fifty-mile canal zone instead of traveling some seven thousand miles around Cape Horn. It takes a ship approximately eight hours to complete the trip through the canal and costs an average of fifteen thousand dollars, one-tenth of what it would cost an average ship to round the Horn. More than fifteen thousand ships pass through it locks each year.
The French initiated the project but sold their rights to the United States. The latter will control it until the end of the twentieth century when Panama takes over its duties.
21) Who currently controls the Panama Canal?
|A/ France||C/ The United States|
|B/ Panama||D/ The Canal Zone|
22) In approximately what year will a different government take control of the Panama Canal?
|A/ 2100||B/ 2000||C/ 2999||D/ 3000|
23) On the average, how much would it cost a ship to travel around Cape Horn?
|A/ $ 1,555||B/ $ 150,000||C/ $15,000||D/ $ 1,500,000|
24) In what year was the construction probably begun on the canal?
|A/ 1881||B/ 1939||C/ 1920||D/ 1999|
25) What can be inferred from this reading?
A/ This is costly project which should be reevaluted.
B/ Despite all the problems involved, the project is beneficial.
C/ Many captains prefer to sail around Cape Horn because it is less expensive.
D/ Due to all the problems, three governments have had to control the canal over the years.
USE OF ENGLISH
A/ Fill each of the numbered blanks in the following passage. Use only ONE word in each space.
While preparing a meal for her guests. Mrs Grant got rather worried (26) … some unusual mushrooms (27) … a kind friend had sent her (28) … the country. Feeling suspicious, she gave (29) … mushroom to her dog. (30) … the dog ate it (31) … no ill effects. Mrs Grant (32) … to cook the mushrooms for her guests. That evening the guests greatly enjoyed the mushrooms, commenting on their unusual flavour. They quickly changed their (33) … after Mrs Grant’s daughter, jill, burst (34) … the dinning room and announced that the dog was deal. On hearing the news, Mrs Grant, now in a state of shock, phoned Dr Craig, who came round (35) … and pumped out the stomachs of all those (36) … had eaten the mushrooms – a very unpleasant experience for them. (37) … Dr Craig asked if he could see the dog, he was led out of the house. He soon (38) … that the dog had been killed by a (39) … car. Not knowing anything of her mother’s (40) … about the mushrooms, Jill hadn’t mentioned this important fact when announcing the death of the dog.
B/ GUIDED SENTENCE BUILDING
Build a complete sentence with the given words.
41) child/ scream/ dentist/ pull out / tooth
42) manager / go / party/ although / very busy
43) you know/ mary / engaged/ friend/ mine?
44) Every three/ four years/ they /much / long / migrations / large numbers
45) We / wish / complain / condition / laundry / our building
46) They / concentrate / trucks / carry / cargoes / sell / quickly / cash
47) Tourists / attract / beautiful scenery / sunny beaches
48) He / used to / play football / famous team / but / too old / play / now
49) You/ become ill/ unless / stop / work / so hard
50) Nobody knows / exactly / when / the earth / create
C/ Rewrite the following sentences without changing their original meaning. Begin with the given words.
51) She is listening to the radio. She turned it on at seven-thirty.
She has …………………………….
52) It will be too late, if we don’t start conserving fossiel fuels now.
53) The moon doesn’t have an atmosphere, the planet Mars doesn’t, either.
54) The referee was being escorted from the football field by a strong police guard.
A strong police guard ………………………….
55) “Don’t bathe when the red flag is flying,” said the lifeguard.
The lifeguard warned them ……………………..
Write a composition from 80 to 120 words on this topic:
A friend of yours, living abroad, wants to visit your city for some days. Write a letter telling him / her what there is to see in your city.