Phần mở đầu
In this section you must choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence. For each question, 1 to 20, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
1) Her parents were very … because she was out so late that night.
|A/ sorry||B/ frightening||C/ worried||D/ worry|
2) They flew to the island, then … a car for three days and visited most places of interest.
|A/ hired||B/ lent||C/ managed||D/ spent|
3) Because of the heavy rain we had to … the dinner party until the following Sunday.
|A/ re-arrange||B/ postpone||C/ reserve||D/ give up|
4) When he heard the terrible noise, he asked me what was … on.
|A/ happening||B/ getting||C/ coming||D/ going|
5) The three friends all … for the same job.
|A/ requested||B/ applied||C/ intended||D/ referred|
6) The patient … to listen to his doctor’s advice.
|A/ avoided||B/ should||C/ refused||D/ had better|
7) Take this road and you will … at the hotel in five minutes.
|A/ arrive||B/ come||C/ find||D/ reach|
8) The weather was awful. I wish it … warmer.
|A/ was||B/ were||C/ had been||d/ will be|
9) That’s where I … when I was young.
|A/ was living||C/ was used to live|
|B/ used to live||D/ used to living|
10) She will accept the job … the salary is satisfactory.
|A/ unless||B/ provided||C/ so long as||D/ Both B and C are correct|
11) I managed … the book I was looking for.
|A/ finding||B/ found||C/ find||D/ to find|
12) He suffers … bad headaches.
|A/ in||B/ about||C/ from||D/ of|
13) Did anyone clean the windows?
No. They … but they weren’t
|A/ should clean||C/ should have cleaned|
|B/ should have been cleaned||D/ should be cleaned|
14) If you had come to the party, you … her.
|A/ would meet||C/ would have met|
|B/ had met||D/ met|
15) She told me that she …English literature.
|A/ has studied||C/ had been studying|
|B/ has been studying||D/ would have studied|
16) When we visited the zoo on Sunday it was very crowded, but on a weekday it’s practically …
|A/ full||B/ uncrowded||C/ empty||D/ unoccupied|
17) We delayed our departure … the weather condition.
|A/ on account of||C/ in front of|
|B/ on behalf of||D/ ahead of|
18) Bill is phoning his girlfriend again. That’s the third time he … her this evening.
|A/ is phoning||B/ phones||C/ has phoned||D/ will phone|
19) It was difficult to … a date which was convenient for everyone.
|A/ elect||B/ organize||C/ arrange||D/ provide|
20) This composition needs …
|A/ rewritten||B/ to rewrite||C/ being rewritten||D/ rewriting|
In this section you will find after the passage five questions of unfinished statements about the passage, each with four suggested answers or ways of finishing. You must choose the one which you think fits best. For each question, 21 to 25, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
Sequoyah was a young Cherokee Indian, son of a white trader and an Indian woman. At an early age, he became fascinated by “the talking leaf”, an expression that he used to describe the white man’s written records. Although many believed this “talking leaf” to be the gift from the Great Spirit, Sequoyah refused to accept that theory. Like other Indians of the period, he was illiterate but his determination to change the situation led to the invention of a unique 86-character alphabet based on the sound patterns that he heard.
His family and friends thought him mad, but while recovering from a hunting accident, he diligently and independently set out to create a form of communication for his own people as well as for other Indians. In 1821, after twelve years of work, he had successfully developed a written language that would enable thousands of Indians to read and write.
Sequoyah’s desire to preserve words and events for later generations has caused him to be remembered among the important inventors. The giant redwood trees of California, call “sequoias” in his honour, will further imprint his name in history.
21) What is the most important reason that Sequoyah will be remembered?
A/ California redwoods were named in his honour.
B/ He was illiterate.
C/ He created a unique alphabet.
D/ He recovered from his madness and helped mankind.
22) How did Sequoyah’s family react to his idea of developing his own “talking leaf”?
A/ They arranged for his hunting accident.
B/ They thought he was crazy.
C/ They decided to help him.
D/ They asked him to teach them to read and write.
23) What caused Sequoyah to develop his alphabet?
A/ People were writing things about him that he couldn’t read.
B/ He wanted to become famous.
C/ After his hunting accident, he needs something to keep him busy.
D/ He wanted the history of his people preserved for future generations.
24) How would you describe Sequoyah ?
25) Which of the following is not true ?
A/ Sequoyah developed a form of writing with the help of the Cherokee tribe.
B/ Sequoyah was a very clever young man.
C/ Sequoyah spent twelve years developing his alphabet.
D/ Sequoyah was honoured by having some named trees after him.
USE OF ENGLISH
A/ Fill each of the numbered blanks in the following passage. Use only ONE word in each space.
When a light passenger plane flew off course some time (26) … it crashed (27) … the mountains and its pilot was killed. (28) … only passengers, a young woman and two baby daughters, were unhurt. It was the (29) … of winter. Snow lay thick (30) … the ground. The woman knew that the nearest village was miles (31) … When it grew dark, she turned a suitcase (32) … a bed and put the children inside it, covering them (33) … all the clothes she could find. During the night, (34) … got terribly cold. The woman kept as near as she (35) … to the children and even tried to get into the case herself, but it was too small. Early the (36) … morning, she heard planes passing overhead and wondered how she could (37) … a signal. Then she had an idea. She stamped out the letters “SOS” in the snow. Fortunately, a pilot saw the signal and sent a message (38) … radio to the nearest town. It was not (39) … before a helicoper arrived on the scene and (40) … the survivors of the plane crash.
B/ GUIDED SENTENCE BUILDING
Build a complete sentence with the given words.
41) He / hurry / that / bump / car.
42) There / be / increase / traffic / accidents / recently.
43) You / better / tell / news / police.
44) I / spend / hours / look / pen.
45) Teacher / say / no / time / correct / compositions.
46) By / practise / English / day / speak / fluently.
47) Althought / bus / full / manage / get
48) President / speech / be / television / radio / last.
49) I / going / holiday / friend / mine / September.
50) He / charge / office / director / away / business.
C/ Rewrite the following sentences without changing their original meaning. Begin with the given words.
51) He could not afford to buy the car.
The car …………………………
52) She didn’t say a word as she left the room.
She left ……………………………
53) They think the owner of house is abroad.
The owner ………………………..
54) You remembered to post the letter, didn’t you?
You didn’t ………………………..
55) Speaking English fluently is not easy.
Write a composition from 80 to 120 words on this topic:
In your opinion, which job is the most interesting ? why ?